Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Saturday, June 29, 2013

Unwanted Guest

The other weekend when we were doing some yard work Jason noticed some evidence of something in our yard.  We had some digging under our shed and other areas of the yard.  After I planted my flowers the next two mornings I noticed something had dug in my flower beds.  I see neighbours' cats quite often and another neighbour has two dogs so we weren't sure.

On Thursday night I was in the kitchen around 10 p.m. and the window was open and I heard something rustling the leaves outside the window.  I called Jason over who tried to see what it was.  He told me to go outside to the front of the house to see if whatever it was would run down the side yard and he'd be able to see.  I still can't believe I agreed to go.  I gingerly crept outside and when I looked at the side of the house I saw a skunk just a few feet away from me.  I ran back into the house and told Jason.

We decided we needed to do something about it.  Friday at work during lunch hour Jason called around to several pest control places.  Everyone was quite expensive and a few were currently out of traps as with the flooding animals were being displaced and many people were having problems with various critters.  After some research Jason headed to Rona and bought a skunk trap.

Needless to say I was pretty nervous about making this a do it yourself project, but Jason seemed confident about it.  He placed a can of tuna at the far end of the trap and put it out in the yard where we had seen the skunk.  Sure enough by the next morning we had caught him.  Now what to do!


Jason called his brother who has a truck to come and help him and he got himself ready to rid us of our unwanted guest.

Better safe than sorry!
In an attempt to keep the skunk calm and to not spray Jason laid a black blanket over the trap.


Carefully picking up the trap.


Now to load the trap into a box in the back of the truck.



Arriving at the skunk's new home!


Most stressful part - opening up the trap and then backing away.



I hope he enjoys his new home and doesn't find his way back to our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment