Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Thursday, July 28, 2011

Asian Beef-Noodle Salad

To assist me in my recent weight-loss efforts I've been trying to make really delicious, healthy meals.  Not that I usually cook non delicious fattening meals, but I think if you feed yourself foods with lots of flavor you never feel deprived.  So last night I made an Asian Beef-Noodle Salad from the "Eat Shrink and Be Merry" cookbook.  I've made it a few times and it is always a favorite.

Dressing
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp each salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes

Salad
8 oz uncooked spaghetti (I usually use rotini or penne)
1 lb sirloin steak, grilled and cut into strips
2 cups small broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup grated carrots (I just slice thin)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (I never seem to have this in the house, so I skip it)

Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

Cook spaghetti (or other pasta) according to package directions.  Drain.  Rise well with cold water and drain again.  Transfer noodles to a large salad bowl and toss with remaining ingredients.  Add dressing just before serving and toss again.

This recipe is so yummy and perfect for a hot summer day.  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that cookbook. Try the Silly Greek Chili if you haven't already. It's my fave. My kids would love this one so I'm going to try it next week.

    ReplyDelete