Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Thursday, June 6, 2019

Crazy, Eventful Birthday Weekend

April brings our sweet Cadence's birthday.  I can't believe she is "5" already.  Time has just flown by. She is so incredibly fun.  She's smart, sassy, funny, and a pure delight to me.  We are all so grateful to have her in our family.  The beginning of April I was busy with birthday plans.  Getting ready for her special day at preschool and her first friend party.  Then the craziness began ...

It all started on Thursday night, April 4th.  I was making unicorn sugar cookies for Cadence's special day at preschool.  We were in charge of bringing a treat and Cadence was excited I was going to stay at school with her.  I was having some back pain while icing the cookies and after I had finished the glaze and was about to make the rainbow icing to add to the mane and tail the pain started to get worse.  I had Jason rub my back but then it was impossible to find a comfortable position.  For maybe a half hour I kept waiting for the pain to subside but it just continued to get worse.  Finally, around 10 pm we decided I'd better go to emergency.

I didn't have to wait in emergency too long probably because of the racket I was making.  Crazy pain.  After waiting for a bit while they took blood work, got me hooked up to an IV, they gave me some pain killers.  The instant relief was fantastic and I felt so much better.  Since the ultrasound department was closed for the night they decided to keep me until it opened again at 8 am since every time the drugs wore off the pain came back.

I was most upset that I was not able to finish Cadence's cookies the way I wanted to and that I would miss her special day.

Jason went home to get a bit of sleep and sort out the kids in the morning.  He had Ashton stay home from school so he'd be able to walk Cadence home after her preschool class and once everyone was at school Jason returned to the hospital.  In the meantime, I'd had an ultrasound.  After a couple more hours I saw doctors who informed me I had several gall stones and they recommended I have my gall bladder out.  They were hoping to do the surgery that day but depending on time it might have to wait until Saturday.

I spent Friday in the hospital on pain meds and waiting.  Jason went home later in the day to see how the kids were doing.  At 8 pm I was informed my surgery would happen at 8:30 pm.  I was very nervous but grateful I was being taken care of.  The surgery went very well, but I ended up in recovery longer than expected which worried my poor husband who had returned to the hospital.  I made it back to my room about 2:30 am.

Now my biggest worry was - will I make it home in time for Cadence's birthday party.  About 10 am the doctors were doing their rounds.  They said I could go home, so I asked if I'd be able to leave in time to make it to my daughter's birthday party at 1 pm.  They said I could and the nurses were great about getting me discharged first. Jason came and got me and we returned home about an hour before Cadence's little friends were to arrive.

Such a crazy couple days.  Very grateful for the care I received and that now I'm as good as new except for 5 tiny scars.

No comments:

Post a Comment