Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Year End Recital

This past Friday, June 4th I held my student's year end recital.  The evening was wonderful and went really well.  17 out of my 19 students were present and each played two pieces they had prepared.  Everyone did an excellent job.  I think they were pleased with themselves and the parents seemed happy with the progress they had made this year.  Last year I only had 11 students so I had the recital in my home, but we had outgrown my home so this year I held it in the RS room of our church.
Programs outside the room.

The room set up and ready to go
We had arrived at the church at 5:30 p.m. to set up 65 chairs, the microphone, putting the food on platters, setting up tables in the triple room where we were going to have refreshments.  Mom had come up to help me and I couldn't have gotten everything ready without her. 

At 7:00 p.m. my students, parents, grandparents, siblings etc. arrived.  We had 63 in attendance.  The children played their piano pieces - several of them from memory, two of my voice students sang and one guitar student played her guitar and sang.  I ended the evening with playing the piano and singing "Sooner or Later".



Ashton playing Old MacDonald that he learned 2 days before the recital!
After a group photo we invited everyone into the other room for refreshments and to mingle.

I neglected to take a picture of the food table but we served tiny homemade buns with either chicken salad, or ham, a veggie platter with dill dip, a fruit platter, chocolate dipped strawberries, brownies, and homemade chocolates.

These recitals are so much work but are one of my favorite things about teaching music.  They are so much fun for me - it combines my love of teaching music, my love of my students, and my love of entertaining all into one!  How grateful I am for my musical talents and for my ability to share them with others and to pass on some of my knowledge to these precious children.  My family was also so much help.  Mom worked herself to the bone making all the buns, coming up and helping my friend and I make chocolates, slaving away on Friday chopping up vegetables and fruit etc.  Thanks mom you are my hero and I couldn't have done it without you.  My husband is a huge support and never complains about the list of things I need him to do to pull something like this off.  So now I have three more weeks of teaching and am anxious for my much anticipated break this summer.  By September I know I'll be just as anxious to start up all over again.  Til next year!

1 comment:

  1. You can make chocolates other than Christmas?!:) JK Looks awesome

    ReplyDelete