Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Saturday, June 4, 2011

MRI and a Migraine

This morning I headed to the Peter Lougheed to have my MRI - an experience I hope I don't have to repeat any time soon.  After a very busy evening with my student year end recital the night before I woke up with a headache this morning and we needed to be at the hospital by 8:30 a.m.  I couldn't take any tylenol as I wasn't allowed any food or water.  I arrived at the hospital, got checked in quickly, and changed into my gown.  Next they inserted an IV.  I have very thin, deep veins so he had a bit of trouble getting the needle in but eventually did.  Then off to the MRI room.  After the IV was hooked up to the contrast dye, I was fitted with a hair net and earmuffs, given a panic button to hold and then I was slid into the MRI machine.

I had no idea it was so small.  I knew that I would be put into a tube, but it was much smaller than I expected.  I've never had a problem with small spaces, but I must admit I was a bit claustrophobic.  It was very loud and I tried to keep my eyes closed as the small space was really freaking me out.  They were wanting to get images of my liver to clarify what a couple of spots are that were seen in the CT scan.  My doctor is pretty sure it is nothing to be concerned about, but I'm a bit nervous.  But anyway because when you are breathing the liver moves I had to hold my breath while they took the pictures. 

Have you ever held your breath with a splitting headache?  I seriously thought my head was going to explode.  Then to add in the fact that I was freaking out a bit, and the loud noises were making my head pound even harder - I was really struggling to hold my breath for as long as they needed me to.  I only pray they got the images they needed so it can be determined what these spots are and I don't need to go through that again.  Another test complete - now off for x-rays!

1 comment:

  1. I would have been pushing the panic button like crazy. I am very clausterphobic. Crazy the amount of test you have but better safe right.

    ReplyDelete