Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Literary Ladies 2017

I'm a few months late, but here is what my bookclub read in 2017.  I love bookclub.  We have about 12 people in bookclub, but with schedules etc we have about 5 - 6 that come on a regular basis.  I don't mind.  If we have a few or have a lot we always have a great time.

January 2017
I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
I enjoyed this book.  Malala is an amazing young woman who stands up for women's right and was shot in the head on her school bus and survived. We had a great discussion.

February 2017
The Dinner - Herman Koch
This book got a mixed reaction from our bookclub.  I found it an interesting read, and made for a good discussion on how far each of us would go to protect our children.  For this meeting we met at a restaurant.  Very fun.

March 2017
We each read a book on a topic we were passionate about and then shared with each other why.  It was great to see a wide variety of interests.  Art, sewing, music, travel, etc.

April 2017
Fifteen Dogs - Andre Alexis
I thought this book was ok.  I was disappointed in the ending.  Maybe it's because I'm not much of an animal lover.  Some in the group quite liked this book.

May 2017
The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton
I've read other books from Kate Morton and loved them.  This book was no exception.  Excellent read.

June 2017
The Only Pirate at the Party - Lindsey Stirling
Memoir of the electronic violinist.  I must admit I didn't finish this book.  It didn't really grab my interest.  I do however find Lindsey Stirling an amazing musician.

July/August - took a break for the summer.

September 2017
You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News
Shocking but Utterly True Facts - Cracked.com
I skimmed through this book reading facts I was interested in.  This wasn't a book I typically would read, but it did make for an interesting discussion.

October 2017
Sweetland - Michael Crummey
Another book that got a mixed review from the group.  I quite liked the book and I think after discussing it as a group a few of the readers warmed to the book as well.  It does have some bad language.

November 2017
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
What can I say - it's Agatha Christie - excellent book.  For added fun we went to the movie together and then met at a restaurant to discuss the book and the movie.  I liked the few changes the movie made so that I could enjoy both versions.

Another great bookclub year.  We've already had some great reads in 2018 and I can't wait for more.  Thanks to all our literary ladies for making this group so fantastic.  Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting again. I got lots of fun reads from your last list. Always good to know what you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete