Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, October 29, 2012

A Perfect Ending

Yesterday was the dedication of the Calgary Alberta Temple.  What a wonderful completion to a whirlwind, exciting few months it has been for our family.  What a blessing this temple is, and will be to our family.  Jason was so honoured to be able to add his artistic talents to the beauty held within.  We enjoyed so much taking our children, family and friends to the open house and serving as ushers there.  Now I eagerly anticipate going often and feeling close to my Savior and Heavenly Father.

A few weeks ago we got our tickets from our Bishop to attend one of the dedications in the Stake Centre.  We were excited Ashton would be able to attend with us since he is 8 years old and baptized, and Bowen was looking forward to spending some time with my cousin Sheri as she was going to babysit him.  Then last Sunday we were beyond excited when Jason and I received tickets from the stake to be able to attend the 4:00 p.m. session of the dedication in the temple.  We did not expect such a blessing and were thrilled.

Logistically it was a bit more difficult as we would still take Ashton to one of the earlier sessions at the stake centre and then attend later at the temple.  I was having difficulty finding a babysitter for Bowen and our nephew Dane who we were watching that day as well - so we thought probably just one of us would attend with Ashton.  Then Friday morning I received a call from our Bishop who had received a few more tickets and he said he wanted to bless Ashton and give him a ticket to attend in the temple as well.

Ashton was so excited he got to attend in the temple and we were so grateful.  My cousin Sheri attended the 10:00 a.m. session and then came over and had lunch with us and then watched Bowen and Dane while we headed to the temple.  We picked up the rest of the bishopric so there were 7 of us.  After waiting in a bit of a line up we entered the temple and they ushered us upstairs, we were being put in the chapel but they didn't have enough room for our entire group so they sent us back up the hall and around the corner and we ended up sitting in the large sealing room across from the celestial room.

This turned out to be the biggest blessing of all.  As President Monson came down the hall to enter the celestial room he stopped in our room and spoke to us for a bit.  I had never been that close to a Prophet of the Lord before and I was overwhelmed with emotion.  I was so thrilled Ashton was with us.  I'm sure it is something he will never forget.

The dedication was beautiful and President and Sister Carter (who have been called as a temple president counsellor and assistant to the matron) spoke and I was so happy I was in that session as they personally mean so much to me.  All the speakers were wonderful and I felt the spirit so strong.  The choir numbers were beautiful and uplifting.  Such a spiritual day.  I look forward to going to the temple soon and often.  I am so grateful for my testimony.  I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church, restored by the Prophet Joseph Smith.  That my Savior died for me and because of him I can return someday to live with my father in heaven.  I know families can be together forever.  I know that temples make this possible. 

I didn't think it would be possible for me to love another temple as much as I love the Cardston Temple.  But I do, the Calgary Alberta Temple has become my temple!

I titled this blog A Perfect Ending as it feels like it was a wrap up to all that has happened to us concerning the building and dedicating of the temple in Calgary, but really as I think about it it's a Perfect Beginning ...


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Lainie, as I sit here with tears reading your blog. Beautiful and yes a perfect beginiing......Love, Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience! I'm so glad you were able to see the prophet - especially after all of Jason's hard work and your sacrifices. That is one for your journal for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience for all of you, and something to always remember! It really was a beautiful dedication, I love our prophet so much and even being in our chapel many many miles away from the temple, I too could feel the spirit that President Monson possessed! Such an amazing man, I can only imagine how strong the spirit would be being in the same room as the prophet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really awesome. Neat for all of you but glad Ashton was able to be there also.

    ReplyDelete