Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Saturday, June 21, 2014

No Flood This Year

I can hardly believe another music year has come to an end.  Last night I held my year end recital. Last June my recital was cancelled due to the flooding in Calgary, but this year it went off without a hitch. A few weeks ago I made invitations for students to take home to their families.


Last week of lessons I sent home summer practice charts and treats.


My mom came up last weekend and helped Shelley and I make chocolates.  Ashton and Ashley helped us.  Ashton decided to roll a special fondant for himself to be dipped.

I don't think so!

The rest of the week I was busy baking cookies and making fondant.

I even redid my nails for the occasion - love my Jamberry's!

Yesterday was such a busy day.  Mom and I spent the morning cutting up meat, cheese, and fruit and packing up everything we'd need to bring to the church.

Then mom took Cadence to her 2 month vaccinations and Jason and I headed to Ashton's Grade 4 graduation.

When we all got home we packed the truck for the church.

Mom organized the food onto platters in the kitchen.



Jason and I set up microphones, tables, etc.


The boys set up chairs in the gym, while Cadence did this ...


I was very proud of all my students.  Everyone played and sang so well.  Lots of kids performed on the piano, 6 students played guitar pieces, and several sang.  One of my students and I sang the duet "Say Something".  About 2 weeks ago we decided the boys had better get ready - Ashton played Hickory Dickory Dock, and Yankee Doodle, Bowen played Mary Had a Little Lamb and sang the Rainbow Connection.  They both did a great job - imagine what they could do if I actually gave them lessons throughout the year.  I'm committing to be better in 2014/15 and give them consistent lessons. It was a fun program and I think everyone enjoyed it.


Following the recital I held a reception for everyone in the gym.  I must admit I really enjoy this part.  I like feeding everyone and mingling with my students and their families.



I received some lovely gifts.  Two of my girls brought me some gorgeous flowers.  I love fresh flowers in my home and have really enjoyed them this week.



As well as gift cards to Michaels, Montana's, Tim Hortons, and South Centre Mall, some body wash, and lotion, a beautiful little plant, and a "Forget Me Not" Willow Tree statue, even a little outfit for Cadence.  It was so thoughtful of them.

As always I have a few who will not be returning next year and I don't think I will be filling their spots. With Ashton in Grade 5 and a busy schedule with a little one I think it would be good to have my schedule be a little lighter to spend a little more time in the evenings with my children.  

By the end of the year I'm usually pretty tired (this year was no exception) and am ready for a little break, but my recital always seems to remind me why I teach and gets me excited for the new year. I'm looking forward to starting up again in September.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a wonderful night. I love your pic of "what Cadence did". Your students are lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You still went all out new baby and all. Glad Myrna was there to help. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete