Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Advent, Advents and More Advents

I've always wanted to do a proper advent calendar with my boys leading up to Christmas but I always seem to run out of time and buy the ones from the store with the little square chocolates inside.  This year, a couple of months ago I saw these cute little stocking advents in the Avon catalog and thought they would look great on the boys tree. 
So I bought two strands of them, put them on the tree and stuffed them with goodies.  The boys loved it and they make an adorable garland on the tree.  I will definitely be making this a Christmas tradition.


With so much focus at Christmas time on Santa and getting presents I'm always trying to find ways to remind the boys about the real meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate Jesus' birth.  When the Children's Friend Magazine came this month it had this great Scripture Advent Calendar in it that I decided would be great to do with the boys.  I photocopied the tree and the ornaments (so I can use it again next year) and hung the tree to the wall.  Each night I would read out the question and we would go to the scripture given to find the answer, then the boys would take turns placing the ornament on the tree.  I was thrilled how much the boys enjoyed doing it and they seemed to like it as much as the advent on the tree with their goodies.  It was such a great way for the boys to learn about the birth of the Savior.

The boys with their completed tree.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Friend one. We forgot to do the last two days since we were not home. I think next year I want to make little stockings for Christmas tree ornaments. They looked cute.

    ReplyDelete