Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, February 18, 2013

Star Wars Exhibit

We took full advantage of it being teachers convention last Thursday & Friday and we headed to Edmonton for a little family holiday.  It was a much needed break for all of us.

Thursday morning we were on our way ...



When we got to Edmonton we checked into our hotel that was right across the street from the West Edmonton Mall.  It was great to be so close - we just parked at the hotel and walked over.  We spent a few hours checking out the mall.  Ashton made a very important purchase.  He had brought $20.00 of his own money to go towards it.
Ignore the hair - he desperately needs a haircut!
He's pretty excited to finally have an authentic oilers jersey.  He wore it the entire weekend.  Bowen didn't bring his Flames jersey to Edmonton (he thought he better not!), but he put it on as soon as we got home.

Friday morning we headed to the Edmonton Science Centre for the "Star Wars Identities" exhibit (our actual reason for the trip).  We were given wrist bands and individual audio systems with headphone.  There were several stations you went to where you needed to make a decision.  You just put your wrist band up to your choice and your individual information was recorded on your wristband.

Choosing what type of character we'd like to be.
I apologize in advance for the amount of photos in this blog - I took alot of pictures.

In addition to the stations to make choices there were also audio stations when you stepped in the hexagon you heard the audio and usually there was a little movie to watch as well.


What surprised me was the amount of movie memorabilia.  Costumes, models, concept art, puppets etc.  It was a very cool exhibit.





Life-size pod racer
















Hayden Christensen's Costume
Costumes that Natalie Portman wore




Here is how our characters ended up looking (from left to right - Bowen, Ashton, Jason and  me)
After a couple of hours at the science centre we grabbed some lunch at the mall and then went to the Waterpark.  We all had a great time - swimming in the pool, having fun in the waves, and riding slides.  I think my favorite part was when Jason took the boys into the pool for a bit and I sat in a deck chair and read a magazine!  About 5 1/2 hours later we were exhausted and hungry and got a bite to eat and then back to the hotel for the evening.




Waiting for food at the food court - tuckered out after a fun and exhausting day!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW, that was quite an exhibit. And I know Jason was in all his glory as well as the boys. Looks like a fun tiring weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are quite the pictures. Nice shirt for Ashton. Hope all went well with meeting the Aunts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I guess I need to post my comments from our home computer and not my ipod!! They don't show up when I use the ipod!

    Thank you for all the pictures, it made me feel like I was right there with you without having to be in the dark about what you saw!! I am not up with my star wars trivia!! It looks like it was a ton of fun, so glad you guys could go!!

    ReplyDelete