Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Domestic Goddess

I was feeling very domestic yesterday.  This is not a feeling I get often - maybe I was just trying to avoid cleaning the house.  But I felt the need to do some baking and cooking for my family.  Actually I love to cook but with my schedule I've been finding it difficult to find the time.  So I decided to start early in the morning.  First I whipped up a batch of buns.

Ashton informed me, when he tried one after school, that they were "nearly" as good as Grandma's.  I'll take that - my mom makes the best buns on the planet.

Then I started on a homemade potato soup.  I thought if I made it up we could just grab a bowl around supper time.  I had to move a couple of my Wednesday students so I was teaching from 3:40 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. with only a half hour break.

I don't really have a potato soup recipe, but this is basically how I make it.

POTATO SOUP
1/2 of an onion diced
2 - 3 stocks of celery chopped
5 - 6 medium potatoes chopped bite size
3 tablespoons of butter
salt
pepper
cover with water and cook until tender
add 2 cups milk and 1/4 cup sour cream
bring to a boil and thicken with flour and water mixture
top with cooked and chopped bacon, chives and dollop of sour cream (optional)

It is so easy but very tasty.

I was pretty busy during the day as I was babysitting my little nephew Dane and was getting guitar lessons ready for the evening so I had some dough left over that I hadn't had time to make into buns yet.  As soon as Jason saw the leftover dough he asked if I could make some cinnamon buns with it.  I've never made cinnamon buns before but I decided to give it a go.

I rolled out the dough, brushed it with melted butter, sprinkled with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.  Rolled up dough, sliced it, placed in a pan, let it rise for 30 minutes and baked for 18 minutes.  Voila - delicious cinnamon buns!  Ashton had one for breakfast this morning and when I asked him if he liked it, he replied "I don't like it - I LOVE it!


Enough avoiding the inevitable.  Today I must clean the house and do laundry!


1 comment:

  1. I always get the 'almost as good as grandma's' too! Can't mess with the master. The cinnamon buns look awesome.

    ReplyDelete