Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Wednesday, July 27, 2016

New Recipe

A while ago my sister Rachel texted me a picture of the dinner she was making her family.  It looked so delicious I just had to try it so I made it the other day.

SHRIMP IN THAI COCONUT SAUCE

1 pound jumbo shrimp, shell and tail on (I purchased pre-cooked shrimp from Costco with shell and tail already removed)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 cloves garlic,  (minced or pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 onion, peeled and sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 cup coconut milk
4 - 6 tablespoons high quality fish sauce (I only used 4)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger (I used 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger)
2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (I left out - I think it tastes like soap!)
1 green onion, chopped
Red jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the shrimp in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, salt, ginger and red chili flakes.  Toss to coat and let marinade for 10 minutes.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil.  Add the onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Transfer the peppers and onion to a bowl.  Add more oil to the skillet and cook the shrimp.



In another bowl mix the coconut milk, fish sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, brown sugar and stir well. Transfer the cooked onion and peppers to the skillet and pour the coconut milk mixture over the peppers.  Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Add the shrimp to the skillet with the basil and cilantro and toss to coat.  Serve over rice or noodles.  Garnish with more cilantro and basil, chopped green onion and sliced red jalapeno if desired.



It made quite a bit of sauce so I think next time I'd use the whole peppers and add more shrimp.  The 5 of us had no problem eating it all. Even the kids loved it.  Really delicious.  I'll definitely be making it again.


1 comment:

  1. Looks good. I think I remember her posting it some where and think I should try it. But with chicken.

    ReplyDelete