Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Weigh-In - Week 3

So I tentatively and nervously stepped onto my scale this morning.  This week has been a challenge and I wasn't sure how I had done with my weight loss.  Well I'm surprised excited to announce that this week I lost ...
1.5 lbs
That makes a total of 6.5 lbs down so far!  It's not alot, but hey it's something.  I had alot of challenges thrown my way this week, but I must say I'm really proud at how I handled them.  First Jason took me out on Saturday for dinner (it was so delicious!), then we went to my aunts for dinner on Sunday, but I made good choices.  On Tuesday night two girlfriends from Lethbridge came to Calgary and we went to the Olive Garden for dinner.  If you know the Olive Garden you know why I'd be nervous about losing weight this week - but I did really good.  I had to have 2 breadsticks, but my main course was grilled chicken with pasta in a herb and lemon vinegrette (oh how I wanted that alfredo!!).  I made sure I exercised, I still need to increase how often however, but I'm pretty pleased with myself.

On Wednesday I got lots of exercise as the boys and I went with Sheri to Calaway.  We had lots of fun with her and I even resisted the mini donuts and icecream cones (okay maybe I had a few licks of Bowen's cone).
Yesterday evening was cooler so I made one of my favorite soups out of the "Eat Shrink and Be Merry" cookbook (I do cook out of other cookbooks too!).  But this recipe is so yummy and healthy.

CREAMY SALMON AND CORN CHOWDER WITH DILL
1 tbsp olive oil or butter
1 cup sliced leeks (white part only) or chopped onions
3/4 cup each chopped celery and diced red bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp each dried thyme and dried tarragon
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (14 oz) cream-style corn
1/2 cup light (6%) cream
12 oz boneless, skinless salmon fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 tbsp minced fresh dill (I used 2 tsp of the dried)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp each grated lemon zest and Dijon mustard (didn't have any Dijon so I just used regular mustard)

Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick soup pot over medium heat.  Add leeks, celery, red pepper, and garlic.  Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add thyme and tarragon.  Cook and stir for 30 more seconds.  Add flour and mix well, until vegetables are completely coated.  Add chicken broth.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.  Soup will thicken slightly.  Stir in corn and cream.  Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in salmon, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer until salmon is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on size of salmon pieces.

Remove soup from heat and stir in dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, and mustard.  Serve immediately.

This soup is soooo good.  Enjoy!!

Now my next challenge is the boys and I are spending the week at mom's so the boys can go to swimming lessons in Champion.  Let's see how the weight watchers leader feeds me!!

2 comments:

  1. Next time you go to the grocery store go hold 2 three pound tubs of margarine.

    6 pounds is A LOT!

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last recipe that you gave from that book looed so yummy I rented it from the library. There are hardly any pictures. I can not buy a cook book unless it has TONS of pictures. I was very disappointed. I know that you and Rachel use it alot. So keep posting yummy recipes with your pictures so I can try them.

    ReplyDelete