Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Weigh In - Week 3

I've had a week that has felt like I'm barely keeping my head above water.  I can't seem to catch up.  I do things all day and at the end of the day I look around and wonder what I've done.  My goal this weekend is to try and catch up abit and then I have plans to organize and have a schedule.  I've started the boys on their reward charts again.  They are old enough to be keeping their rooms and playroom clean, and to have simple chores each day (taking out the recycling etc.)  I also found a cleaning schedule online that I want to implement.  It breaks the week down into doable tasks each day.  I'm hoping this will help me feel like I don't need to try to get it all done in one day.

You may be wondering what all this preamble has to do with my Friday Weigh-In.  Not much!  Other than it speaks to my state of mind and why when I weighed in this morning I've only lost ...

.5 lbs

I am happy that at least it is going in the right direction.  I've concluded that I also need to start cooking again.  I've been just throwing supper together and they haven't always been calorie wise.  So last night I made the chili recipe from the "Eat Shrink and Be Merry" cookbook.  I've made this recipe alot and it is one of my favorite chili recipes.  It has so much flavor and it makes alot so there are always leftovers for the next day.

CHILI

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef                                                  1 cup beef broth
2 tsp minced garlic                                                             1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
1 cup each diced celery,                                                    1 tbsp barbecue sauce
  diced green bell pepper,                                                   1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans,
  and diced red onions                                                             drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder                                                       1 can (14 oz) beans in tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp each ground cumin                                                   (I use Heinz Original)
  and dried oregano                                                             3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp ground coriander                                                            (I omit - I think it tastes like soap!)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper                                               1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes,                                             2 tsp liquid honey
  undrained
1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce

Cook beef and garlic in a large, deep, non-stick pot over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink.  Stir in celery, green pepper, and red onions.  Cook and stir for 3 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.

Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and black pepper.  Cook for 1 more minute.  Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, celery leaves, and barbecue sauce.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 more minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cilantro, lime juice, and honey.  Serve hot.

It's really yummy - enjoy!!

ps.  This recipe once won first prize at a chili cook off at our Ward Corn Bust.  The prize was a whoopie cushion!

1 comment:

  1. Reading this reminded me of a saying I recently read 'Nobody notices what I do until I don't do it' Haha!!

    ReplyDelete