Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, January 9, 2012

Gotta Love Gift Cards

On Saturday we decided to head to the mall as a family to spend our gift cards we got for Christmas from Grandma Bach.  First stop was the Lego store.  One of the boys favorite places on earth.  They had alot of fun picking out what they wanted to buy.  Next we were off to Old Navy for Jason to buy a new pair of pants and lastly I bought a couple of things at the Bath and Body shop.

Thanks Grandma for all our great stuff!

Later that afternoon we took the boys to "Puss in Boots" at the cheap theatre.  The boys love going to movies.  It was a cute show and we had a good time together.  Then we headed home for supper.

I bought a big ham the other day and was looking for a recipe to use up some of the leftovers.  I came across this dish in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  It was fast, easy to make and very yummy!

SCALLOPED MACARONI AND HAM

1 cup dried elbow macaroni
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsps butter
2 tbsps all-purpose flour
1 tsp fresh basil, or 1/4 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup diced fully cooked ham
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 tbsp butter, melted

1.  Cook macaroni about 10 minutes or till tender but still firm.  Drain well.
2.  Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion in the 2 tbsps butter till tender but not brown.  Stir in flour, basil and pepper.  Add milk all at once.  Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.  Remove from heat.
3.  Stir in the cooked macaroni, ham, and frozen peas.  Transfer to a 1-quart casserole dish.  Toss together the bread crumbs and the 1 tbsp melted butter.  Sprinkle crumbs atop the macaroni mixture.
4.   Bake in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes or till bubbly. 

It was a great day before the boys head back to school on Monday.  I am looking forward to getting back to a routine, but it has been so nice to have less responsibilities and to have time to enjoy my family.

1 comment:

  1. I used to think that gift cards where a cop out gift. But they really are some of my favorites. Sounds like you got lots of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete