Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

John Toone's Cello

A few weeks ago when I blogged about my birthday month I forgot to mention one my favorite gifts I received this year.  While in Utah earlier this summer my cousin Sheri discovered an artist - Julie Rogers -  who had painted a portrait of our Great Great Great Grandfather John Toone with his cello.  The story is that he had brought his cello across the plains when he settled in Salt Lake City.  One of his descendants in Utah now has the cello and had organized a recital.  In honour of the recital they had a portrait commissioned.



I am just thrilled to have a copy of this portrait in my home.  It looks wonderful in my music room.



I'm grateful for my ancestors and for the music they have passed down to my life that brings me so much joy.  It was my grandmother Hannah Toone Puzey (John Toone's Great Granddaughter) who first taught me to play the piano and to whom I credit much of my love of music.  For more information on John Toone and his cello visit the following blog - www.johntoonecello.blogspot.com

Thanks Sheri for this piece of my past.

3 comments:

  1. So happy you have that picture Lalainia. I love that our ancestor did bring that across the plains. I have one also.......but not in my music room, somewhere stored away.....Yes, your grandma did teach you the gift of music......you are so lucky to have that remembrance of her. I remember practising for hours, and both dad and mom always asking me to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lalainia,

    I'm also a descendant of John Toone--I coordinated the painting of John Toone and his cello by Julie Rogers and helped organize the cello recital back in 2008. So glad you like the painting and are enjoying it in your home! I can definitely see the Toone resemblance in your photo--beautiful!

    I descend from John Toone and his wife, Emma Prosser, through their son, Charles Jabez Toone--->George Henry Toone--->Electa Smith Toone--->Calvin E. Monson---Elizabeth (Liz) Monson Thomas (me).

    Which wife and line do you come through?

    All the best,

    Liz Thomas

    P.S. Are you on facebook? I recently did a post about John Toone for his 200th birthday on April 10, 2013.

    ReplyDelete