Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Tuesday, January 26, 2016

600 Blog Post Contest Winner & Day in the ER

Since I'm already a day late announcing the winner of my 600 blog post contest I won't keep you waiting any longer.

The winner is ....

SHEILA

Congratulations Aunt Sheila.  You won 2 dozen homemade buns, a guacamole dip mix and soap from bath and body works.  As soon as I get your buns made Cadence and I will make a little trip up to your place for a visit and deliver your winnings.

So to explain why I am a day late in announcing.  I started having a pain in my right side on Friday night.  Wasn't a big deal, wasn't sure what it was.  Saturday it got a little worse and I didn't feel very well.  Then Sunday it was hurting quite a bit more and by the end of a busy Sunday I was feeling pretty crummy.  Then I went to bed.  I had a terrible sleep that night.  Really bad pain, couldn't get into a position that it didn't hurt.  I even went down to the sectional at about 4 am to see if I would be more comfortable sleeping in a semi sitting position.  I was able to get a couple hours.

That next morning we decided I better head to the hospital.  So we dropped off all the kids at Jason's brothers house.  Thought it would be easier to have them miss school than worry about drop offs and pick ups and we headed to the ER.  I got in pretty quick and after talking to and being examined by a doctor he was concerned it might be my appendix.  So I did urine and blood tests and then was sent for an ultrasound around 1 pm.

Then we waited.  My husband sat with me all day.  The only time he left my side was to grab a bite to eat a couple of times.  He doesn't like it when I'm sick, and he isn't the most patient but he did say the only thing that made it bearable was that he was spending time with me.  He wondered if we could take a selfie and post it on facebook with the caption "date night".  So the ultrasound showed something abnormal but they couldn't get a good enough look at it so decided I needed a CT scan.  They gave me 4 big glasses of water with dye in them to drink for 2 hours and then I went for the CT scan at 6:30 pm.

Back in the waiting room.  About 7:30 pm the doctor came with the results.  My appendix was fine - good.  Apparently we all have these little fatty balls in our bowels and one of mine had become twisted and had died and become inflamed and that is what was causing the pain.  Luckily the treatment is painkillers and time, no surgery required.  So at 7:40 pm, after a very long day we were able to leave.  I'm already feeling quite a bit better.  I had a much better sleep last night and the pills are helping with the pain.  I should be back to normal in no time.  I'm sure grateful it wasn't something more serious, and for everyone's concern and offers of help, for Ty and Jill to jump in and take our kids for the whole day, and for a 12 inch ham sub that night since I hadn't eaten since 6 pm the day before.

Cadence is happily watching her shows and drinking her milk so I'm going to take my painkillers and have a little rest.  Thanks everyone for entering my little contest and congrats again to Aunt Sheila on winning - see you soon.

4 comments:

  1. What an ordeal for you Lainie. I am glad it was nothing more serious, and I AM ECSTATIC ON WINNING.........YAY, I have never won anything in my life.......so this is a first. Don't make a special trip. Just sometime when you see Sheri, she can deliver to me............If she doesn't eat them all first, but I will share with her. Rest and get well. love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story sounds a lot like mine from November, but with a very different ending. So glad you didn't need surgery! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad everything turned out for the somewhat best! I'm sorry you are still battling the pain but thankfully it didn't require surgery. Lots of love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you did not need surgery and that you are starting to feel better. Sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete