Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2nd Half of Busy Weekend

The second half of my busy weekend included my annual Student Christmas Recital.  I invited all my students to my home on Sunday afternoon.  Out of my 29 students 18 were able to attend.  A few were gone already for Christmas and a few had family commitments.  We moved the piano into the living room (which I'm sure Jason is always thrilled about). We started with playing music bingo.  The kids had fun, a couple of them won prizes.  Then we played name that tune with Christmas carols.

Then we had the official part of the recital.  The students played two pieces each.  The order was selected by picking candy canes with their names on them.  Everyone played so well and the students were very respectful and politely listened to each other and clapped.  I won't bore you with a picture of each student, but here's a few.


After all the songs I had a luncheon for them.  I had seen this idea for a sandwich keyboard on someones blog and I knew I just had to make it for my students.  I made ham and cheese sandwiches and cut into the size of a key on a piano and then added small pieces of pumpernickle bread for the black keys.  I had looked for rye bread so it would be darker but I couldn't find any.  I thought it turned out adorable!


I could have made a third keyboard though, the kids ate every last bit of it.  I served the sandwiches, a veggie platter with dill dip, a fruit platter, chips and rice krispie squares.



As a Christmas gift I had made the kids toffees.  I had done this last year and the kids enjoyed them so much and I had several parents comment that I now think I'm stuck carrying on that tradition.  I even had to make a second batch after the Christmas Party on Saturday night so I'd have enough.


It is alot of work to have this recital, but it is totally worth it.  I enjoy seeing my students be proud of the work they are doing and to have a good time together.  I'm so grateful for my musical talents and find it such a priviledge to share my knowledge with others.  Most of all I hope I can instill the love of music to them.  They are a great bunch of kids!

I also received quite the haul of gifts.   I certainly don't expect anything, and it is so thoughtful of them to think of me!

I think my Christmas activities are close to being wrapped up for this year.  It has been a busy December, but I've enjoyed every moment of it.

4 comments:

  1. Cool sandwiches. I love how you did your recital. With the girls we seem to sit forever. That is a fun way to keep it going and enjoyable at the same time. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this entry Lainie. Glad you have some traditions for the recital. I always have peppermint icecream and music note sugar cookies. Had to search the city this year for my Lucerne peppermint icecream. Kids love it and I always get a big Hersheys;' Symphony bar in Phoenix for them as part of their treat bag. Looked like a fun night. We think and do alike. Loved the music sandwiches. Cute idea. Enjoy the Christmas season. I will too. I will miss your dear dad, and know you will miss him too.
    Love Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade toffees are the best! Okay - am I just not seeing it? What is that last picture???

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a clutch purse. Very cute in person!

    ReplyDelete