Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, December 12, 2011

Annual Visiting Teaching Luncheon

My VT companion and I had a luncheon last Friday for the ladies that we visit teach.  This is becoming an annual event for us and we really look forward to it.  We decided to do the exact same menu as last year as we have all new ladies we visit.  I made a chicken puff pastry, and Shelley brought a broccolli salad and a delicious chocolate trifle for dessert.

One of the fun parts for me is decorating the table.  I was excited to use my new dishes.




Shelley and I made chocolates last week so we had a box of chocolates to give to each lady.  I bought these adorable little place markers a while ago and finally got to use them.



Of course, I forgot to take pictures of any of the guests, but we all had a great time.  Lunch was really yummy!  The ladies we visit are so nice and we had a great visit.  For anyone interested in an easy but impressive dish this is the one for you.

Chicken in Puff Pastry with Bechamel Sauce

Bechamel Sauce

1/2           onion
1              bay leaf
3              cloves
3 tbsp       butter
3 tbsp       flour
2 cups      milk
                salt and pepper
1/4 tsp      ground nutmeg

Place bay leaf on sliced part of onion half.  Prick with cloves.
In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour and stir.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add milk and onion.  Cook for 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove onion.  Season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg.               Makes about 2 cups

Filling

2 tbsp       butter
1              onion, chopped
1 cup        celery, diced
1/2            green bell pepper, or sweet red pepper, diced (I used a red pepper)
2 cups       chicken, cooked, chopped
                 salt and pepper
                 poultry seasoning
1 1/2 cups bechamel sauce
                 package of puff pastry (the recipe actually calls for crepes which would be great too)
1/2 tsp      paprika

Preheat oven to 400 F
In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion, celery, diced pepper, and chopped chicken.  Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, then blend in 1/2 cup bechamel sauce.
Roll out puff pastry and cut into 4 squares.  Spoon filling in middle of pastry, fold over and pinch to seal.  Brush with egg wash and bake on a baking dish for approximately 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
Remove from oven.  Top with remaining bechamel sauce and sprinkle with paprika.

Sorry no sauce in the picture - I forgot to take a picture when we were eating.
This little luncheon is becoming one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  Hope I'll be able to continue having them for years to come.



1 comment: