Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sunday Birthday Parties

In this past week alone Bowen has been invited to two of his friends birthday parties.  Both of which are to be held on Sundays.  In our family we have decided that we don't attend birthday parties on Sundays.  We feel Sunday should be reserved for church and family time.  I realize that most little kids parties which are held in homes would probably not be that big of a deal for my kids to attend, but some are held at other facilities, some include swimming, etc.  So we just feel it is better to say "NO SUNDAY PARTIES". 

But I've been feeling so bad for my kids.  I want my boys to have friends and to have fun with them.  When Ashton was in preschool and kindergarten he went to quite a few parties - they were held on a Saturday.  But I'm finding the new trend is that "everyone" has their parties on Sunday.  I am proud of my boys for supporting our family's decision.  They never complain about it.  As I got off the phone last night with a mom inviting Bowen to her son's party and came and told Bowen "So your friend's mom just called and invited you to her son's birthday party - guess when it is?"  Bowen looked at me and in a sarcastic tone replied - "on a Sunday right?" 

It isn't always easy to follow through on what you know to be right.  I'm grateful that my sons have the opportunity to test that at such a young age.  I hope it will make it easier for them to be able to make the more difficult decisions when they are older.  Sometimes this being a mom is a tough gig!

4 comments:

  1. I agree! Being a mom is a tough gig!! But there are also many rewarding experiences too!! I love Bowen's sarcasm!! He is a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first Sunday party. Cora went to her room and prayed about it. Later she didn't want to tell us her answer:) I agree with the tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you counter with arranging a play time at your house for Bowen and the birthday boy? I know it is more work for you but it would be acknowledging the invite and giving him exclusive time with his friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did mention that to the mom, we'll have to do that!

      Delete