Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, March 19, 2012

A Special Birthday

Ashton is our St. Patrick's Day baby!  When I was pregnant with Ashton, Jason said that I was not to have Ashton on March 17th.  He was worried he would be a red head and he'd be called a leprechaun and get green presents for the rest of his life.  So of course, I had him on St. Patrick's Day.  I was never very good at being told what to do.  He doesn't have red hair, has never been called a leprechaun and never gets green presents, but his Uncle Steve called him "wee little Ashton" with an Irish accent when he was born - I loved that!!

Well that little baby turned 8 years old on Saturday.  In our religion turning 8 years old is very special.  That is the age that children are baptized official members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Ashton has been excited for this day for months.  As luck would have it his birthday fell on a Saturday this year so Ashton decided that he wanted to have his baptism right on his birthday.

We talked to our Bishop and the Bishop in Champion and got permission to baptize him in Champion where I grew up.  It wouldn't be as far for family to travel, and we could focus on just Ashton and not have to share his day with other children in the stake.

After the date was set I sent out invitations.


Days leading up to the baptism I prepared the programs.

Ashton called everyone that he wanted to participate at his baptism.  I planned a menu and started working on the food.  At first I thought I wanted to make cake pops.  I tried them one weekend when mom was up visiting - they were a collosial failure.  So I decided to make brownie pops instead.  I made brownies in mini muffin tins, inserted sticks and then dipped them in chocolate.  They turned out cute and were very yummy!








Saturday morning we packed up the truck and headed to Champion with one very excited little boy.

We made it to Champion early and got everything set up.  Ashton and Jason got changed into their white clothes prior to the service.

The baptism service was really nice.  My brother and mom gave wonderful talks and we sure appreciated their efforts.  Despite a lousy cold I was able to sing and Jason conducted and gave some really nice comments.  After the baptism when Jason and Ashton were changing I handed out little cards for everyone to write a message to Ashton.  It will be a nice momento for him to keep from his baptism.  The YW in our ward also have made special baptism books for the primary children and there is a perfect spot to hold the cards.
After the baptism we invited everyone to stay for a little luncheon.  We served barbecue beef on a bun (mom made the delicious buns), veggies and dill dip, fruit, Char brought a delicious lettuce salad and Rachel brought a yummy pistachio salad.  For dessert we had rice krispie squares (Jason's mom brought), and cupcakes and brownie pops.
He looks so grown up and handsome in his new suit!
Some great friends made the trip from Calgary - we love you guys!
After the luncheon Ashton opened presents.  Everyone gave him such nice things, he was so spoiled.
A new tie pin from Grandma and Uncle Mitch
It was a beautiful day and one I'll always remember and I'm sure Ashton always will too!

We headed home and Ashton opened up presents from us. 

His favorite presents of the day were a pair of inline skates, and a guitar.



We are so proud of Ashton for the young man he is becoming and the good choices he is making.  He is such a thoughtful, tender hearted boy.  He loves babies, he is adventurous and fun, clever and inquisitive.  He is a joy to have in our home.
HAPPY 8TH BIRTHDAY ASHTON!! - WE LOVE YOU!!!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your writings of your special day with your handsome son and family. I love reading your blog Lainie. You do an AWESOME JOB........looks like a very special day for your son.
    Love, Aunt Sheila and Congratulations Ashton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just referred everyone to look at your brownie pops:) We were talking about Ashton just being 8 when he got baptized and we realized that Cora was baptized at 7 on her birthday and she wasn't actually born until 11:42pm. We were bugging her that it didn't really count, she would have to do it again:) It was a really nice day. I had never thought about green presents forever after Hummmmm.....JK. Hope you are feeling better soon. Nice guitar.

    ReplyDelete