Blog Title Explanation

"Oh I Know" is a phrase used by Sybil Fawlty on one of my favorite shows - Fawlty Towers. I find I say it alot too!



Monday, May 14, 2012

My One Day Off A Year

I love being a mom!  Of course, (as Bowen would say) yesterday was Mother's Day.  It was a lovely day, but was sorry I didn't spend it with my wonderful mom.  I did see her the day before but had forgotten her card at home, and she already had the DVD we bought her - oops!

My mom has been an amazing example to me.  She is very talented, loving, generous and full of energy.  She handles challenges with faith, determination and grace.  I am honoured to be her daughter and enjoy so much the time we spend together.  I look forward to our daily telephone conversations and if I need a pep talk I know where to turn.

I found this photo of my mom while going through my photo albums this morning.  Bowen asked me "Is that Grandma?", I replied "yes", his response "oh, she's just younger!"  I think you look exactly the same.  I love you mom!

So back to my mother's day.  I have been struck down by yet another cold (I think my music room has become an incubator for germs - maybe I should spray the piano students down with lysol before they are allowed in) so I was feeling pretty miserable.  But I made it through church with the help of great counsellors and Jason who always comes to my rescue.  After church I was instructed that I was to do nothing all day - done!  I was quite happy with that plan.  I put on some comfy clothes and assumed the position on my favorite spot on the couch.

The boys had little surprises for me they had made at school and primary (the ones they made at primary weren't exactly a surprise since I helped them make them), but they were so sweet all day.  Bowen kept bringing me drinks of water and reading his card to me.  I got lots of hugs and kisses.  Jason had bought me Stephanie Nielson's new book "Heaven is Here" and I enjoyed spending the afternoon reading it while he and the boys made supper.  As I laid on the couch I heard the ding of the steamer and then seconds later the timer from the stove.  My hubby exclaimed "how's that for timing? - you heard that - tell people!"  It was pretty amazing!


They made a delicious supper (I just wish I could have tasted it better - stupid cold!).  They had made ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagas with hollandaise sauce - yum!  Bowen set the table and Ashton even made place cards.



During dinner Bowen asked me to get him something.  His father explained I couldn't get it because it was "mom's day off - her one day off a year".  It sounds a bit depressing when you say it like that.  I love my family.  They are so good to me and I actually get spoiled quite often - not just on Mother's Day.  Since Saturday we went to Champion for cousin Emry's baptism we were able to go to the cemetery and visit Kenny's grave.  We took some flowers (thank you Amber) and we all had a little cry. 

I am so grateful I have the opportunity to be a mom.  What a blessing these sweet little boys are in my life.
Looove Bowen's cheesy grin!  They are a handsome pair!

ps.  Bowen has just informed me that today - May 14th is Bowen's Day - cheeky!

1 comment:

  1. You seemed a little down Saturday plus being sick. I hope you are feeling better all around. The food looks very good. Glad you had a great 'day off'

    ReplyDelete